- 1 package of 4 ounces of dried round thin rice noodles
- 12 dried medium rice paper rounds (sheets). The OK brand is a
- 1/2 pound of lean pork
- 24 medium shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1 English or fresh pickle cucumber
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- 1/2 bunch of coriander leaves
- 12 Boston lettuce leaves or any leaf lettuce
- 1 long red hot pepper
Fish sauce dip
- 1 glove of garlic crushed or minced
juice of one fresh lime or 1/4 cup of rice
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 fresh hot chili red pepper minced(optional)
- Mix all ingredients together then serve as dipping sauce
for the rolls.
Peanut dipping sauce
- 3 tablebspoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of fermented soy bean sauce
- smashed (or fermented soy bean paste)
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 fresh hot red chili pepper minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of roasted peanuts crushed
- Mix all ingredients together. Bring to boil, taste it. If it's
salty add a little more sugar. It should be on the sweet side.
- Boil the water in a large sauce pan with a pinch of salt. Put
the noodles in the pot, bring to a boil again for 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold
water. Set the noodles aside.
- In another medium size pot boil 4 cups of water. When it
boils, put the pork in the sauce pan. Lower the heat and cook the pork until clear juice
comes out when pricked by a fork. Drain and set aside. Boil the shrimp for 5 minutes; then
drain them and set aside.
When they are cool, slice the meat into slim lengths of 3 inches and split the shrimp in
- To prepare the herbs: wash them and rinse them dry. You can
use a salad drainer to remove all of the water. Set them aside.
- To prepare the rice papers...
- There are two ways to do it:
- 1- You can put them between dampenned paper towels and cover
all with a dampenned and clean cloth towel for 10 minutes before using the rice papers.
- 2- You can wet about 4 rice papers each time then wait for few
minutes before using them.
- When the rice papers are pliable you should start to roll them
with the ingredients as follows:
- Put a piece of lettuce on the rice paper. On it put 3 thin
slices of cooked pork, a thin slice of cucumber, mint leaves, a few sprigs of coriander
and one tablespoon of cooked vermicelli along the length of lettuce. Then try to roll the
package in the shape of a sausage. After one turn, line 3 pieces of shrimp, cut side up,
along the roll and finish rolling. This is for display, because you can see the pretty
pink shrimp through the translucent rice paper. Put the seam down and cover the roll with
a damp paper towel or with plastic paper to keep the roll soft. Finish all of the
remaining rice papers in the same way.
You can make these rolls ahead of time, early in the day. Wrap them with plastic and keep
them in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 hours.
- Serve the rolls with fish sauce dip or with peanut dipping
sauce - or a sauce of your own invention. A bright crimson cranberry dip is made by adding
some cranberry jelly to the fish sauce dip. Voila!